Thursday, 17 November 2016

Poison

She looked at me with those huge almond shaped eyes, her face unreadable, but waves of pure innocence radiated off her. She moved closer, causing the leather seat to groan with pleasure as it touched her bare skin. Her Iris’s were deep brown, with tiny flecks and imperfections, and to me they were bottomless pools of happiness. Our faces were only inches apart, I could feel her breath play across my skin, as her lips slightly parted. Her lungs drew air and caused her chest to rise making the gold chain I'd given her earlier twinkle in the reflected dash board lights. She rolled her bottom lip in and bit down on it making tiny indents on the cherry red skin.

How many time had I tasted those lips? She was a flavour I would die for. My heart hammered in my chest with love but my mind was torn apart by doubt. I wanted to be in this moment forever and at the same time something screamed at me to run. The magnificence of her eyes held me in a wordless stupor, while her scent invaded my nose, at last dulling my churning mind.

“I need you,” she whispered, her voice husky with sex and her words all I had ever wanted to hear. I couldn’t respond but I felt my pulps draw out to their maximum so they wouldn’t miss an ounce of her beauty.


“You are the only one I can trust,” she said, cupping my face with tender hands. Her long lashes fluttered as she blindly closed in on me with aching slowness. Sparks of desire crackled through my mind threatening to send me insane and then, at last, our lips collided and I was hers.


All too soon she pulled away, her chest heaving in oxygen starved passion. I was ravenous for her and tried to pull her toward me, I wanted to devour her, but she resisted. She leaned across me and opened the car door. Outside the night was crisp and bright by the light of a new full moon. The rutted lane ran arrow straight up the hill and finished at the steps of a modern day manor.  I looked back at her. Something swam in the depths of those innocent eyes making her seem older for a second.

“I will be yours forever,” she said and smiled. I looked down at the blade in my hand and knew I was powerless to resist. I had to have her, this was the only way. Afraid to look back, afraid to pause, I hurried into the unknown.

The building seemed to fly toward me like a living thing. The door knob turned silently in my hand, just as she’d promised it would. On weightless feet, I glided up the stairs and paused at the top. To the right was the half open door which flooded the darkness with deep animal-like snores. The sound was fitting for the beast which nested within. I tightened my grip on the blade and felt my gut knot with hate. I didn’t have to look inside to witness the huge bloated body, floundering in a sea of silk sheets. She had described the scene to me a hundred times. The sounds he made conveyed every slobbering twitch of his jowls while he grunted his way through debauched dreams. In the darkness, my ears had become my eyes, and I could see all. I could see the monster forcing himself on her, defiling her in unnatural ways, revelling in her shame.  How many times had she described her hell at that animal’s hands? How had she survived? Had she survived? I’d lost count of the times she had taken me inside her to make tender love, while tears still glistened on her perfect face. Once, as she lay collapsed on my naked chest she'd said she’d always known her one would come to save her.

I didn’t have to say it, she knew, because I had.

I watched the moonlight dance on the edge of the blade and imagined driving it deep into his gut. How I wanted to send that bastard straight to hell for what he’d done to her. I knew I’d be doing the world a favour, but she’d insisted that the weapon was not to be used. The knife was just a threat, should anything go wrong.  

The door on the left was her dressing room. A royal bounty of clothes to make a prisoner into a queen. I moved as quietly as a cat but the door gave a tiny squeal. I froze on the spot, listening to the heavy snoring which still filled the air. The pig grunted once, then once again, before settling back into a deafening slumber. Inside, the walls were lined on all sides by rails which groaned under couture gowns. The deep rosewood drawers held a thousand treasures, but I only sought one. In the middle of the back wall I knelt and eased open a door which looked like all the others.  The cold steel face of the safe looked out at me. The only thing this beast guarded more diligently than his queen, was his gold.

When she'd left the house earlier, she'd told him her sister was ill in hospital. Unfortunately she didn’t dare take her valuables because the animal which claimed dominion over her checked the safe contents every night before bed, and the same each morning. We need time to disappear, which is why I find myself sneaking through the house in the dead of night. A new life was not cheap, and these jewels were hers, she'd paid for them in blood and tears.

As I readied myself to enter the code I pulled some dresses from the rail. She’d said it would beep and that I was to use some clothes to deaden the noise.  I typed in the numbers and twisted the handle. The door opened easily. Inside were fist sized bundles of money lying on a small mountain of black satin jewel bags.

“What the blazes are you doing?” snarled a whisky roughened voice behind me.

The beast was awake! I barrelled my way through the dark toward him and collided shoulder first with his flabby stomach. I heard the air whoosh up through his multiple chins and explode from his cavernous mouth.

Run Run Run!!! My mind screamed and my leg’s obeyed.  

I was just at the top of the stairs when all the lights came on. My foot floated in mid-air when I saw her standing in the hall. Oh God, run! I thought. In the same instant a huge explosion filled the air and fire ripped through my back. I was propelled out into nothingness and began to drop. Amazingly time slowed down. I saw the edge of the step rise up to crash into my exposed neck, I counted the times bones snapped, and watched helplessly as the marble floor closed in on me.

I felt twisted at an impossible angle but my angel looked down on me, her face calm and radiant as ever. I tried to extend an arm to her but nothing would respond. We had to run, we had to run now.

“Careful, he’s got a knife!” cried the beast from the top of the stairs.

“I don’t think he is any danger, not anymore,” she said, her tone flat, she must be in shock I thought. I tried to tell her I was alright but I only managed to cough up some blood.

“I’m calling the police,” said the beast from the landing above.

“I’ll do it,” she said. “You get some cloths on before they get here.”

That’s my girl, I thought. Give us time to get away. I tried to smile at her and I think I managed it. She walked forward, hunkered down and reached for me.

“I’m just winded,” I managed to whisper. She smiled but her hand didn’t take mine, instead she lifted the knife from my glove, stood, and walked into the kitchen. I heard the water running for a second and when she appeared she was drying her hands on a tea towel. Again she hunkered down, this time she pulled the leather gloves off my hands and placed them in the pocket of my jacket. Then she stood and lifted the cordless phone from the wall.

“Help me up,” I groaned, the words were agony to get out and more coughing came with them.
This time I managed to raise my hand and was shocked to see it covered in gallons of blood. The heat was rushing from my body and I could feel shivers race through me. She shuffled back a step, avoiding my fingers, but her eyes were still soft and innocent. She watched me, the phone dangling in her hand. First her head cocked left, then right and at last she lifted the phone and punched in three numbers and waited in silence.

I heard a click on the line and something inside her snapped. She bellowed and screamed, saying in between heaving sobs. “Please, please hurry. My husband has shot him! He’s dead! He’s dead!" There was more sobbing before she choked out the address and then started to scream again, this time she yelled at nobody in particular, “No, no, no, no! Don’t kill me! Don’t kill…” then she smashed the phone on the marble floor.

She became calm in an instant. I couldn’t feel my legs, my head was swimming with lightness and I could hear my heart hammering a mile a minute in my chest. I tried to speak but no words would come. In some ancient part of my brain realisation struck. She was like one of those beautiful forest mushrooms, the ones with amazing colours which promised bliss, but delivered only poison.

As darkness crept into the corners of my vision I saw her run her hands through the blood on my arms and chest before rubbing it on her face and clothes. She ripped open her blouse and bashed her head viscously three times against the edge of a hall table. With the last ounce of life in my body I forced my eyes to stay open. Her beautiful face was already beginning to swell when she said, “I knew I could count on you.” Then she smiled and my world was filled with those amazing lips, those poison lips.


“What the hell is going on?” roared the beast from above. She turned her face up with a scowl and flipped him the finger before calmly walking out the front door and into the night. 




If you liked this little tale, you will love the book. Click the link to take a look.

Post a Comment